Fixing things.

After school today, the girls and T (aka The Boyfriend) were heading to the store and the library, only to discover that they couldn't get out of the house. Something was wrong with the doorknob and no matter what we did, the door would not open. They couldn't use the front door unless they wanted to wade through snow up to their waists so L put on a pair of my shoes (everyone else's shoes were on the other side of the door) and went out through the basement/backyard/garage. It took a few more tries but eventually, working together, we got the door open.

I thought, ok, if I leave it unlocked, we'll be able to use the door. We'll have to count on the dog to keep us safe (ha!) but it's doable. Except when I closed the door, we couldn't get it open again without L's help from the other side.

The kids left, I wedged a piece of cardboard between the door and the frame so I could at least close it, and I called my husband.

After some swearing, he suggested that I remove the knob and replace it with the one from the door to the garage. He explained what I had to do and said, "It's easier than you think."

And he was right. I removed both doorknobs, put the one from the garage door on the house door, and it worked. We have to use a screwdriver to get into the garage now but at least we're not locked in (or out of) the house.

I just hope this isn't a sign for how the rest of the week is going to go.


Posted by Ripley on February 02, 2009 | Tags: house, repairs