Mostly unrelated stuff.

Hmmm... maybe he watched the same newscast I did? Weird. I'm just glad it's over.

* * *

A month or more ago Ice and I had a discussion about saving energy. I asked if shutting the computers down at night would save a noticeable amount of money. He did some quick math and concluded that yes it would. On weekends I mostly use my laptop because I spend more time in the den watching movies, so that weekend I shut Ash down on Friday and didn't turn him back on until Monday morning. Only to be greeted with a rather alarming noise and an even more alarming message:

Missing operating system.

I didn't panic, just took a deep breath and hit the reset button, and he booted up properly. I know that, in this case, it indicates a failing hard drive so I backed up everything I could think of and I haven't turned him off since.

Until yesterday morning when the hydro went out for no apparent reason.

I'm leaving him off until we get back from vacation. And keeping my fingers crossed.

* * *

I've been working on a redesign for this blog. Ice is protesting since he really likes the nearly naked lady but it's time for something different. And since I'm upgrading Movable Type so I can turn comments back on, it seemed like a good opportunity. I had almost everything looking the way I wanted and the layout worked in all browsers but then I uploaded it to a temp dir and discovered that the colours in one section (the decorative section) looked like crap on both of the non-LCD monitors. So I need to make changes but they will also have to wait until we get back.

* * *

On a related note, I installed some new fonts on my laptop (who really really needs a name) but could not get Gimp to recognize them. I deleted the fonts.cache-1 file but that didn't help. It didn't even replace that file. I knew it was reading a cache somewhere but I could not find it.

Then, one day while I was looking for something else, I discovered

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\fontconfig\cache

I deleted the three files in that directory and presto! Gimp found the new fonts. Problem solved.

What amazes me is that with all the searching and reading (and swearing) I did, not once did somebody point to that directory. Maybe my search skills are getting rusty. Or my setup is weird. Or Windows just has to make things unnecessarily complicated. Yeah, let's go with that last one.

* * *

I'm thinking about joining meneathiel in her Project 365. Maybe not until the beginning of September though.


Posted by Ripley on August 01, 2007 | Tags: ash, fonts, in the news, redesign