The redesign of this blog has been really frustrating. Mostly because I am redesigning for a purpose (not just to turn comments on, not just because I was bored with the look) so I have a clear idea of what I want it to do but no clear vision of how I want it to look.

My first attempt was pretty much done when I realized the colours were all wrong on non-LCD monitors. I wasn't in love with the design and Ice said it was pretty but not really me so I started over.

My second attempt was pretty much done when I went looking for the creator of some Gimp brushes I had used so I could link to her site. That's when I discovered that she had stolen the images, removed the watermark, and was falsely claiming them as her original work. I don't want the copyright holder complaining to me so I trashed that one too. Then I was sad and kinda depressed for a few days.

I briefly considered saying to hell with it and just using one of Movable Type's default styles. Then I came to my senses.

Several more designs were attempted, none of which felt quite right. I have another one nearly done but I'm not entirely happy with it either. I honestly had no idea it would be this difficult.

* * *

If you use Opera, don't bother installing or upgrading to Movable Type 4. Attempting to edit a template in MT4 with Opera causes all of the linefeeds to magically disappear and the code to run together on a single line. It works fine in IE (didn't check Firefox) but there's no way in hell I'm going to switch browsers just for MT.

I think the problem is Codepress. While they mention compatability issues with Opera, Six Apart wasn't nearly so thoughtful and wasted a huge amount of my time.

Posted by Ripley on August 19, 2007 | Tags: movable type, opera, redesign