Trying to get things done.

Last Friday's birthday party went well. As I predicted, there was lots of running around and giggling and general silliness but Ice and I hid out in the den and pretty much ignored them. It was 4:30am before most of them got to sleep and they were much more subdued the next day. A good time was had by all.

At one point during the wee hours of the morning, a very tired L came into my office and said she thought they were going to stay up later than me. I laughed.

On Monday, Ice was supposed to stay out of town (but didn't) so I took the opportunity (since I didn't have to make supper) to decorate my staircase. It looks pretty damned good, if I do say so myself.

Tuesday night was the Christmas concert at the school. Only J was in it since the older grades will be doing a concert in the spring. And it's a damn good thing that they split things up that way. The gym was packed when we got there! My parents came and had to stand for the entire hour plus show at the back of the room, I had to stand in the doorway, and Ice stood in the hall and only poked his head in when I told him there was something he should see. Next time, we will go much much earlier.

On Wednesday afternoon, I volunteered to help supervise J's class trip. Three busloads full of kids aged 4 to 8 with their teachers and a handful of parents went to see The Polar Express (awesome, outstanding, beautiful movie. I can't say enough good things about it). I was responsible for seven kids (including J) and they were all remarkably well-behaved. They seemed a bit baffled though when I called J by a shortened version of his name. One asked me why I was calling him that. Another said she didn't know who I was talking about at first. I mean, c'mon. It's not like it's a complicated abbreviation!

On the bus ride home, one of the little girls in my group (there were only two) wanted to sit with me. She was adorable and talked nonstop. I'm pretty sure I learned her entire life history in that 15 minute ride.

On Thursday, I did some baking in the afternoon and discovered that the oven I'm using is much hotter than mine. We put up the tree (finally) that night and today, I did more baking. Tomorrow, we'll all be running around here like crazy people, getting ready for Sunday's family get-together. I'm trying not to stress about it but I'm being only marginally successful.

Posted by Ripley on December 17, 2004